RECIPE & PAIRING: Roasted rainbow carrot & lentil salad with feta and pesto dressing, and LIV Vinho Verde
This light and flavourful salad makes the most of sweet, seasonal carrots and is served with puy lentil, feta cheese and a fresh green pesto dressing.
For the salad:
- 450g rainbow carrots (or regular carrots quartered lengthways)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 250g cooked puy lentils
- 75g feta
For the pesto dressing:
- 30g fresh basil
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- 2 garlic cloves
- 10g parmesan. grated
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt & pepper
Recommended wine pairing:
Tropical melon and white peach flavours in this wine are a great match with the sweetness of the carrots, and the salty, tangy flavours in the feta and pesto are perfectly balanced by some refreshing acidity. The light Vinho Verde effervescence rounds this off as a perfect ensemble.
- Preheat the oven to 180C and tip the carrots into a roasting tin. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper, then roast for 25-30 minutes until fork tender.
- Meanwhile, make the pesto. Put all the ingredients into a small food processor and blend until smooth, adjusting the seasoning to taste.
- Tip the puy lentils onto a large serving dish. When the carrots are cooked, cut a few of them into 3cm pieces and mix with the lentils. Arrange the rest of the carrots on top and crumble over the feta. Drizzle half the pesto dressing on the salad and serve the remainder on the side with a glass of LIV Vinho Verde.
For more useful wine tips, special offers and delicious recipes with wine pairing, join the Vinkind mailing list and follow Vinkind on social: