RECIPE & PAIRING: Hidden veg tomato pasta with Ironstone Zinfandel
A real crowd-pleasing pasta recipe made with a simple and tasty tomato sauce that’s packed with nutritious vegetables. Even the fussy eaters will go back for more!
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 white onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ red pepper
- 150g chestnut mushrooms
- 2 small carrots
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 400g can chopped tomatoes or passata
- 1 tablespoon green pesto
- 1 teaspoon oregano (fresh or dried)
- 1 teaspoon thyme (fresh or dried)
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 350g pasta of choice
- Grated parmesan to serve
Recommended wine pairing:
Dark berries, cooked fruit
and chocolate flavours in a
rich and full body, this wine
is a perfect match for a hearty
Try adding a splash to the sauce
while the tomatoes are cooking down for extra richness.
- Start by preparing the vegetables. Peel and finely chop the onions and garlic, dice the pepper, finely grate the carrots and either finely chop the mushrooms or pulse them a few times in a food processor.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over a low heat and add the onion and garlic first, softening them gently for 5 minutes. Add the red pepper, carrots and mushrooms then stir in the chopped tomatoes, green pesto, herbs and nutritional yeast. Season to taste and leave to simmer with a lid whilst you cook the pasta.
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil then add your pasta and cook according to the packet instructions until tender (approximately 10 minutes).
- Drain the pasta then either stir it straight into the sauce or divide it into four bowls and top with the sauce. Serve with grated parmesan, a grind of black pepper and a glass of Ironstone Zinfandel.
- For an additional portion of veg place a handful of spinach leaves on top of the sauce before you cover and simmer it. Once the pasta has cooked, the spinach will have wilted and can be stirred into the sauce.
For more useful wine tips, special offers and delicious recipes with wine pairing, join the Vinkind mailing list and follow Vinkind on social: