RECIPE & PAIRING: Asparagus, oregano & parmesan tart with Les Maselles Sauvignon Blanc
A simple and elegant asparagus tart paired with a crisp, light and easy-drinking French Sauvignon Blanc.
- ½ a 320g sheet of ready rolled puff pastry
- 250g asparagus spears or 125g asparagus tips
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 15g parmesan cheese
- 3-4 sprigs fresh oregano
- 1 egg
- Salt & pepper
Recommended wine pairing:
A tart like this is best accompanied by a crisp, light and easy-drinking white. Asparagus can be a challenge to pair with wine due to certain chemicals in its makeup that don’t pair well with more complex whites. Our Les Maselles Sauvignon Blanc with its delicate gooseberry, peach and citrus flavours is the perfect pairing here: a natural partner for asparagus, and will also pair well with the oregano and parmesan flavours in the tart.
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Roll out the sheet of puff pastry and cut it in half including the greaseproof paper it comes on.
- Place the pastry and paper on a baking tray and brush the mustard evenly over the surface, leaving a 2cm border around the outside.
- Season with salt and pepper and finely grate over the parmesan. Strip the leaves from the oregano sprigs and sprinkle three quarters of the leaves over the parmesan.
- Arrange the asparagus spears in a line on top of the cheese. If using thick asparagus spears, trim any woody ends before arranging on the pastry.
- Beat the egg in a small bowl and generously brush the egg wash all around the edges of the pastry. Pour any remaining egg over the asparagus. Season again with a little salt and pepper, and the remaining oregano.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the pastry is puffed up and golden, and serve with a glass of Les Maselles Sauvignon Blanc.
For a larger tart you can double the ingredients and use the whole sheet of pastry.
For more useful wine tips, special offers and delicious recipes with wine pairing, join the Vinkind mailing list and follow Vinkind on social: